Tuesday, August 30, 2016

This Week: Thinking About Fall Activism

On my mind this week: Peace Day and peace events in September .... anti-racism and Palestine liberation work in Lutheran churches ... and Taiwan memories ....


Dahlias on my desk
September #peacework events: I wish I could be in all the places that people are gathering in September to advance their diverse efforts for peace! (OK, I especially wish I could be in Zurich, Berlin, and London!) But all of us can participate in one or more of these events -- or other activities like them -- in some way. And all of us can help get the word out via social media!

I'm planning to visit congressional offices in September to urge action on nuclear disarmament.


Lutherans and social justice: Last week I met with colleagues to work on plans related to the new ELCA resolution on Palestine.

At the church I attend, we'll all be reading Between the World and Me by Ta-Nehisi Coates this fall, as part of the churchwide anti-racism initiative. (See: On Reading Ta-Nehisi Coates (A Confession))

And I'm excited about the amazing #decolonizelutheranism movement within the ELCA.


 . . . and . . .


Taiwan: I'm reflecting on a recent viewing of Edward Yang's 1991 film,  A Brighter Summer Day, and how it helped me make sense of my time living in Taipei 35+ years ago. (Updated blog post to follow .... )


What's on your mind this week?

No comments:

Post a Comment