Sunday, February 26, 2017

New This Week (Feb. 27, 2017)

Ash Wednesday is upon us.

This year I'm thinking about the coincidence of Ash Wednesday (March 1) with the day when the US carried out massive nuclear tests on Bikini Atoll. (See  Why People Want a Pacific (and World) Free of Nuclear Weapons.) Considering that nuclear ban talks go forward in a few weeks at the the UN, I'm wondering - will church leaders step up to call on all of us to repent our nuclear folly during Lent?

(And I wonder: will banning nuclear weapons will be on the program when world leaders gather at Westminster Cathedral on March 13 to recognize "2017 - A Peace-building Commonwealth.")

I'm also thinking about another type of ashes and dust . . . .


Anthracite Fields in performance.


Sunday night at Cal Performances, I saw a performance of the earth-shattering oratorio Anthracite Fields. There is a good summary of the piece on Wikipedia.

I've written a lot about my anthracite coal miner Grandaddy Melker:

I wish every person who has ever worked could have their labors commemorated in a piece as moving as Anthracite Fields.

You can listen to all five movements on Youtube. But start by watching this video that gives an overview of the whole project:




*   *   *

UPDATE 2/28: There are now twenty (20) co-sponsors on the bill to rein in presidential first use of nuclear weapons. Please use this script to call and get YOUR representative on that list!

More updates ... 3/2: twenty-one co-sponsors ....

No comments:

Post a Comment